« Home | Am I a Mark? » | Collective To-Do Lists » | What game character are you? » | Cartoons Save the Day! » | eminent domain for the private sector » | Reading List » | It's Official! I quit » | Recycle, Re-use, Reduce » | habit » | Nokia Sensor » 

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 

Sporting Event of the Year, for Atlanta at least

Crowds lined up. The year long anticipation! It was all built up for this day, June 29th, 2005. The streets lined with cars trying to make their way through the traffic and congestion. Signs everywhere point to different parking zones, free, $5, street, turn here. Cops waiting on corners, security waving flags, orange cones sectioning off lanes for turning.

As I approach this mammouth building, I see people of all shapes and sizes. As I get closer to the parking lot, on my walk in, I see signs for reserved parking, family parking, over-sized vehicle parking. The people leaving the building look tired and beat. As I enter IKEA, a rush of air cleans me of the outside heat and humidity. I see instructions for my shopping endeavor, NO CART NECCESSARY. I just need to take notes and maybe an extra handbag for the little things. For those of you that have been to an IKEA before, you know the shock of a first time visit. The gargantuan maze that winds you around undtil you're sick of seeing every way to improve your 297 sq ft. place. I was amazed at way everyone approached this retail giant; it's like they had never see furniture before. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the store that wasn't holding something of valve. And I left just the same, with nothing. This place seems like an addition to Target, maybe a little nicer, but the same concept of warehouse, bulk shopping, just for furniture for this one.

As I made my way out, I found myself in the warehouse, self-service furniture section. This seemed like a mix between the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, with the government secret research warehouse and a Simpsons episode of going to Sams/Costco/(big bulk grocery shopping). How many people go down an aisle and just pick up a couch off a shelf?

I think the best part of a new store is seeing what they put in the impulse area. This place was pretty good: $2.39 travel mug and $3.99 100pk tea candles. "Shit, I forgot my 100pk of tea candle. Sweet they're right here!"

Anyway, I'll probably be going back there at some point. The stuff is really cheap. I just like the spectacle of a new store/new movie/new anything.

Oh, almost forgot -- Ikea is in a new developed part of town, so there are houses and apartment buildings and condos going up around it. I notice on my walk back to the car, that there is a apartment building right across the street from it. That's got to be the worst spot ever to live -- with the traffic on the weekends and the bright blue building screaming at you all day long.

this is the real deal.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm todd
  • From Atlanta, Georgia, United States
  • I work in a cube, dreaming of the outside world all day. There are no windows near me, only virtual images displayed in front of me. I try to be creative from time to time, but it's hard to minic the world when you don't remember what it looks like. This is why I travel and take in new sights and sounds and people, when it's posible. Stimulation is better than simulation. I also ramble aimlessly on about absolutely nothing.
My profile

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates