« Home | Collective To-Do Lists » | What game character are you? » | Cartoons Save the Day! » | eminent domain for the private sector » | Reading List » | It's Official! I quit » | Recycle, Re-use, Reduce » | habit » | Nokia Sensor » | Punk Rock Show - Rock out with your Cock Out » 

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 

Am I a Mark?

So at lunch today, I got approached by a internet pyramid-scheme guy. These guys always seem to pick me. What is it? Do I look like a good mark, good salesman they want to recuit, a sucker. I've been approached by these guys so many times. Most of the time I'm sitting by myself, working on a journal, drawing, or reading in a cafe, waffle house, or coffee shop. The alone part is the easiest target. A salesman is never going to approach a group. The best approach I've seen are by the Church of Christ recuiters that basically tell you you're going to hell if you don't follow them. They approach in twos, so watch out college kids.

The guy today interupted me while I was reading, asking about the book, and the meal I was eating, looking for the hook to get me to talk to him more. My first thought was he was waiting for a friend, but these guys have no friends, only potential clients/worker bees for his end of the pyramid-scheme. It wasn't until after he mentioned his internet site, in the midsts of the conversation, that I realized what he was about. I was talking about the book, what I was interested in, technology, doing web development. He asked twice if I wanted to do contract work, the second time saying it wasn't on the computer (who does work not on a computer, not me, unless it's manual labor, no sales).

I always hope for conversation with someone just filling their time, trying to branch out and find out more on a subject whether it's about a book I'm reading or something I'm eating. That's what the blogs feel like, why don't people do that in the real world. Just stumble into someone's space and start to inquire about their interests. There isn't much unselfish interaction in the real world.

As for this guy that approached me, he realized I wasn't a sale pretty fast. He used a great exit strategy, the fake cell phone call. Why couldn't he just be honest, and say, "Well, it was nice talking to you, but doesn't look like you're going to fall for my fake money scheme".

I keep thinking about the guy in Garden State that says, "I'd like to tell you two about a great opportunity, for the both of you." while in the K-Mart type shop.

As for the check list on how to spot these guys:

  1. he/she(I don't know if girls are dumb enough to go for these things, guys are)approach you when you're alone.


  2. he ask about one or two things in the proximity (book you're reading, lunch, the weather)


  3. he sways the conversation to talk about their product/service somehow


  4. he uses some ridiculous statistic to seem smart/informed(ex.75% of college grads don't read a book all the way through after they finish college"So it's great that you read -- you must be part of the smart group -- Silly Rabbit Trix are for Kids


  5. he asks if you have friends that would help you out, only if you've gotten past the part where you might be interested in the scheme.


  6. and my favorite -- he asks, "what would do if you had free time" -- like his scheme is going to free up your time - look at him, he's not at work right now, he has all the time in the world to harass me


That's all I've got -- so if any of you out there have been approached by these guys, share your story.

Mark's the Avon guy, silly!

Who is Mark? -- and who is Anonymous?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm todd
  • From Atlanta, Georgia, United States
  • I work in a cube, dreaming of the outside world all day. There are no windows near me, only virtual images displayed in front of me. I try to be creative from time to time, but it's hard to minic the world when you don't remember what it looks like. This is why I travel and take in new sights and sounds and people, when it's posible. Stimulation is better than simulation. I also ramble aimlessly on about absolutely nothing.
My profile

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates