« Home | Silent Speech Technology » | Which one are you? » | The True Artist » | Adopt a Chicken » | Crazy DDR » | One Year » | Turn Off TV Week » | reason » | Friendster Spam » | Little Caroline » 

Sunday, May 15, 2005 

Blink

I just starting reading this book and the premise is very interesting to me. Basically, Malcolm Gladwell is setting up scientific reasoning behind the idea of split second decisions based on instinct or gut-feelings. How a very small portion of the whole can be used to map the whole. The first concepts are that our bodies can see patterns before our conscious mind can.

Ex. -- two decks of cards, one red one blue have different payouts and losses associated with them. The player doesn't know these payouts or losses beforehand just that he has to flip the cards over in no order to gain the most with minimal loss(the cards are big gains or big losses on the red deck, and moderate gains and losses on the blue deck). After 50 cards, the player has a feeling about the cards but doesn't know why. After 70, there is logic. But if the player was hooked to a heart-rate monitor and sweat gland reader - the player shows signs of knowledge at 10 cards. The heart-rate increases and the sweat increases on the red deck for the high risk cards.

This example in the book - first chapter - shows some sub-conscious relationship to what Malcolm calls - "thin slicing" - and intuition. Once we can pick these small signs from our body in specific situations, using our gut can be another tool for decision making.

Gladwell's 2nd Chapter is on doing thin-slicing samples with marriage consular and couples, or with a consular that uses thin-slicing to consul. He can tell from a 15 minute conversation, video taped with bio-feedback readers on the couples, if their marriage is a lasting relationship. The conversation could be about anything in their lives, pets, kids, household stuff. The reactions in their eyes and body motions shows signs that aren't displayed in the chat, but show strong emotions.

I'll get to my point now. Recently, or in the last couple of years, I've started to notice different signs from my body when I meet new people, or even interact with the established friends. I really don't know what these signs mean or why they came about, but I find myself using them to determine my relationships. Whenever I have a rash reaction to someone it's because, as cliche as it sounds, they put a bad taste in my mouth. That one glimpse of something sets everyone apart in my eyes, whether close and far for relationships. I can never explain it, but the instant it happens, everything has changed. There is no going back on the feeling.

In a philosophic reading, this has some determinism built into it. The logic behind the thin-slicing is that people don't change their ways, so that's the first assumption. If you don't change and the person you get the feeling about doesn't change, then you're body is shifting you in the direction it wants you to go (towards the person or away). The signs will show up over and over until you learn how to read them or decide to read them. Could the sub-conscious be a deterministic ground work that leads you to the end? This is complete babble from reading two chapters, so don't think to far into it, remember -- this is whatever comes to mind.

Do you have it in audio format? Can I get a listen?

No, I'm actually reading this one, oldskool.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm todd
  • From Atlanta, Georgia, United States
  • I work in a cube, dreaming of the outside world all day. There are no windows near me, only virtual images displayed in front of me. I try to be creative from time to time, but it's hard to minic the world when you don't remember what it looks like. This is why I travel and take in new sights and sounds and people, when it's posible. Stimulation is better than simulation. I also ramble aimlessly on about absolutely nothing.
My profile

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates