« Home | Adopt a Chicken » | Crazy DDR » | One Year » | Turn Off TV Week » | reason » | Friendster Spam » | Little Caroline » | Truman Show » | Ishmael and an integral world » | Nike is Going Green » 

Thursday, May 12, 2005 

The True Artist

This is just question I want to pose to my readers -- probably two of you. Anyway, what is the nature of the true artist? Is it a passion-driven individual focused on displaying his/her version of truth? Is is self-centered to encompass yourself with only your world and expect that world or vision to be valuable to society? How do you accend to a place where you are creative but your contribution has a world-centric view? (When I say worldcentric view, I mean concerning yourself with your impact not just at the local level of tribe or community, but with the world-country level.) I don't really have any links for this one. I'm just trying to get back into thinking about something other than myself, not that I'm self-centered (or maybe I am), but I just wanted to figure out how to effectively impact my local world while thinking globally.

That's all I have for now. I'm listening to KEXP. Great indie-rock station out of Seattle.

Indeed.

funny you should ask. A. and i have been talking about this a bit lately, a little with S.

to recap:

A: says art for her is finding what's beautiful or interesting to her and then sharing that with others so that they might see something new or different, or just have a different thought. art is often accidental.

S: says art is created in order to have an effect on others. she seemed to suggest that the effect should be specific. art is planned.

so, we've got improvisation vs. composition.

and me?

i think that art is what you make it. it's kind of like humor. i tend to laugh at a lot of things that people don't find funny.

anyway, to respond directly to the question "what is the nature of the true artist"-
I think that the nature of the true artist is something that precedes its outward expression in the world, or even in the artist's psyche, for that matter.

the nature of the true artist is a kind of drive, but we usually only recognize this drive as art when its outward expression falls within or intersects the realm of the aesthetic.

and now, a couple of quotations:
yoko ono: "anyone can be an artist. anyone can be god"

dion fortune: "god is pressure"

Well -- some(I think mainstream education and media) see art as an outward expression to capture someelse's attention, entertainment.

Ripe was a great experience of art because it was a mixed of improv and composition that made a new improv effect. Everyone had the flow of energy and do what they wanted with it. Their experience also changed others' experience.

I like getting a flow of energy or creativity from nature and social interaction that makes me smile and laugh.

This subject came up talking about how life would be if you followed a passion to the end or infinity.

Is it possible with all the demands of society to follow a passion without concerning yourself with anyone else? Is that selfish? Are you God if no one believes in you?

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

My thoughts...

Art for me is about expression. The artist express's their view of the world, whether or not the community can understand it.

But it's also a two way medium. Art is an emotional experince for the viewer, listerner, reader, feeler?, smeller?, and lastly, the thinker.

Art is: creation, expression, innovation, emotion, feeling, thinking, and a rainbow of emotions.

...

For me, a creator, art is simply a form of my own expression/perspective. An outlet for things I can't or don't normally express in my everyday. Whether someone else appreciates it or not is not the purpose. Though criticism or praise may affect later attempts.

As an obsever, I try to see art from the perspective of the creator. Though some forms of art are definitly created or rather over-produced/edited for the masses for the sake of capitalism.

So to answer Todd's question, in order to follow a passion without concerning one's self with others, one's art might likely have to not be for public consumption or rely on monitary reward.

Very nice site!
» » »

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm todd
  • From Atlanta, Georgia, United States
  • I work in a cube, dreaming of the outside world all day. There are no windows near me, only virtual images displayed in front of me. I try to be creative from time to time, but it's hard to minic the world when you don't remember what it looks like. This is why I travel and take in new sights and sounds and people, when it's posible. Stimulation is better than simulation. I also ramble aimlessly on about absolutely nothing.
My profile

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates