« Home | Radio is Free! » | First Time » 

Thursday, March 03, 2005 

Public vs. Private Space

Link - This is an interesting idea to combat the flow of information around us. I think it is amazing that there are few places left where cell phones don't work, unless you have the worst phone in the world (SIEMENS S46) but that's not the cell signal provider's fault. I was on the highest point in the lower 48 states, Mt. Whitney (14,500 Ft.) and I got a signal and made some calls. In most of the places I bring my computer, I can find wireless networks. This past weekend though, I was in Tahoe City, CA to snowboard and take a break from work. My cellphone didn't work (because of the phone, not service) and I didn't have my computer. It was amazing! I didn't worry about anything technical for 4 days. That might be a new record. I can't imagine if we could prevent the signals for entering our private space, as the link at the top suggests. I like thinking about the habits I create with technology and if I could break them or how I would survive without those affordances.

What affordance does your favorite technology give you?

Could you break the habit or lifestyle?

I know firefox's sage extention has given me the desire to start this blog and it keeps me informed about just about everything from news to Doonesbury. I would say this is my favorite technology right now and it would be hard to go back to the old model of news gathering with TV, Newspapers, Periodicals, and talking on the phone to friends. I know what my friends are reading, or I tell them to read something, and the conversation can be kicked off in person or on AIM. The rapid spread of information and critique accelerates the rate of learning. Is this access to information important to progress our lives or is it something to keep us going, something to fight depression or stagnation in our lives. This paragraph went crazy. Maybe I should stay on track. It would be hard to break the habit. Getting a new career away from the web would be a good start. I would probably have to get new friends too. This doesn't sound like a good idea so far. I don't think I could stop with the information feeds. Someday, though.


What's playing on your ipod today? ---
right now -- "Going Under" -- Rockers HiFi -- The K&D Sessions (Kruder and Dorfmeister)


About me

  • I'm todd
  • From Atlanta, Georgia, United States
  • I work in a cube, dreaming of the outside world all day. There are no windows near me, only virtual images displayed in front of me. I try to be creative from time to time, but it's hard to minic the world when you don't remember what it looks like. This is why I travel and take in new sights and sounds and people, when it's posible. Stimulation is better than simulation. I also ramble aimlessly on about absolutely nothing.
My profile

Previous posts

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates